- 1 large chopped onion
- 3 ribs chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can tomato paste
- 5 pounds plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1 can coconut milk
- 8 cups chicken broth
- Add Tabasco to taste
1. Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
3. Using an immersion blender or a regular blender blend to a smooth consistency.
Use to garnish if desired:
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- Teaspoon sour cream
- Shredded cheese
I don’t eat gluten or dairy so I would use alternate items to garnish.
If you don’t have time to use your fresh tomatoes, freeze them. They are like pool table balls when you use them. Get a pot of water to a rolling boil. Put a frozen tomato in. When you see the skin split pull the tomato out with a slotted spoon. The skin will peel right off.